A FIGHT WITHOUT A FIGHT






















One of my most favourite movies is Bruce Lee’s ‘Enter the Dragon’. 


I first watched this Martial Arts movie when I was a college kid in Mangalore. Later, I have watched this classic, countless times, both on big and small screens. Every year, I show this movie to our students of ‘Personality Development’ programme. Yes, to all kids – young and little, all.

And, they all love it.

Now, why I love this movie so much and why our kids do… and why you do – the reasons can be varied. I have my own, and many.

One reason is here, and I wish to share it with you, in this post, this morning.

The scene is in a boat that is ferrying our three famous Martial Arts contestants, Bruce Lee, John Saxon, and Jim Kelly – who are all strangers, so far, in the movie – to the Mafia king, Han’s island. It is a typical crowded boat, packed with the local Chinese men, women and little kids. There are many local vendors with their baskets of fruits and vegetables, and there are other contestants, as well. The boat is ferrying them all to the islands along, and no one is talking to anyone… All are lost in their own world.

So, amidst this creepy silence, one of the contestants goes around drawing everyone’s attention;  of course, in a negative way. He wants to show off his Martial Arts skills… So, he sends a deadly kick at a little boy’s fruit basket… blowing off in the air its contents… The innocent boy is petrified as Bruce Lee and the rest of the passengers watch this insane act, all stunned. 

Then, this guy goes around doing the same on every hapless person... “Ha”, “Hu”, “Ha”, “Hu”… He keeps throwing his fists and kicks… till he reaches our great Bruce Lee. 

“Ha, Hu… Come on…” he provokes Bruce Lee. 

Bruce Lee shows no reaction. 

“Come on… Fight,” he further provokes.

Bruce Lee manages a cool smile and tells, “Friend, this place is too crowded for a fight.”

 “So, where else?” the restless idiot asks. 

“There, on that island,” Bruce Lee points at a small nearby island.

“A fight with out a fight!” Bruce Lee reminds the idiot. 

The fellow is too dumb to understand what Bruce Lee means. 

“Done,” the crazy fellow is all ready.

Bruce Lee unties the ropes of a safety boat and tells, “Get in.” 

The despot is already in. 

Now, Bruce Lee calls those little boys on whom that idiot had, just a while ago, exhibited his Martial Arts skills, and hands over the ropes… The small boat starts tossing and turning in the restless sea as the little boys, so merrily handle the ropes… till the screaming continues… and till the little safety boat goes down with the hot balloon!



Whenever this scene comes, I always see our own kids in the classroom jumping with uncontrollable  joy!

I don’t think I have to tell you – why?

Nor have I asked our kids!







One of the biggest challenges 


for me, in my personal growth, 


is to remain unprovoked… 


Not getting dragged into 


these kinds of futile battles. 


Yes, to learn to fight… 


without a fight!

























Just this morning, I read this little story, once again!


One day, in the midst of Gautama Buddha’s teaching, an angry bystander started abusing Gautama. It was too ugly, too offending… and too provocative. However, the Buddha remained unaffected. He heard him out patiently till the angry man vented out all his venom. After that, the Master continued his teaching.

“If a man offers you a gift, and you refuse to accept it,” the Buddha asked the group gently, “whom do you think the gift belongs?”

The answer was obvious. “To the man who offers the gift,” the group shouted.

“Any fool knows that… What is great in that wisdom?” the angry man was still venting.

“The wisdom, my friend, is: you have agreed that the poison of your abuse belongs to you… not me.”


















I am not a Buddha. And, I am not a Bruce Lee.

I am just a disciple. I am just a great fan.

I love this story. I love this scene.

Yes, I jump with uncontrollable joy, every time I hear this story… and, every time I watch this scene.

Hope, I don’t have to explain to you – why?



GERALD D’CUNHA
 

Pics.: Vivek D’Cunha





Comments

PRASHANT DEVADIGA said…
Gerry, what a stunning post!! How do connect so beautifully?

The best part is: You don't make us feel that you are a 'holy man'!!

Be human, always! It inspires!!

Best wishes,

- Prashant Devadiga
Vikas Prajapati said…
Beautiful story sir i liked it.

Thank you
Yash Sharma said…
nice film sir im gonna have to see d movie now........
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Prashant... U have said very fine words to make me feel good.

Ah! Connection! Even I wonder, how I do it! Frankly!

And yes, I shall remain 'human' like rest of u, always. I promise.

Love,

GERRY
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Vikas, I am happy u always read and comment... and I am sure it is helping u.

Love, thanks,

Sir
Gerald D'Cunha said…
What am I hearing, Yash? Not watched this film? It is a cult film!

Do today itself.

Love,

SIR
Shirley said…
sir i cud understand what must have made u connect to these stories of gautam buddha n bruce lee movie today...thanx sir to share such inspiring n beautiful thoughts with us.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank u Sherley...

What I write about is everybody's world! I am just the mirror... may be the medium.

Love,

GERRY
Sweety Chawla said…
Sir thanks for this wonderful post it taught me a lot of things I just hope I would apply it in my life. I will try my best and I guess it would now b more easy for me to do so after reading this post. Thank u once again sir.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Sweety thanks for the comment. I am glad the post has helped u.

Do read regularly.

Love,

Sir
S V A said…
One of my favourite movies too but up until now for different reason i.e the awesome fight sequences. Now that Gerry Sir has brought this scene to our notice, i realize what an important part of the movie it is. The learning is to control your anger and like in the hindi movie "Ghatak" starring Sunny Deol and Amrish Puri, where the dialogue goes 'Krodh ko paal na seekho.' here it is Fight without a fight. Wow. Thanks for sharing sir.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Anand...I loved that Bollywood dialogue. Glad we share this common liking!

Do read and help.

Love,

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...