YOU LIVE ONLY ONCE... BUT, IF YOU LIVE WELL, ONCE IS ENOUGH







Many years ago, I used to display in my classroom a new inspirational-poster every Monday morning. Some of these posters, I would keep repeating at regular intervals. One of them had these words:

“You live only once…
But, if you live well, once is enough.”


In a few minutes from now, I will turn 59. I remember the old poster and find myself asking: “Have I lived these years well?”

What are the yardsticks of a well-lived life? Who has to certify it? Are the indicators visible or invisible?

If the yardstick is the wealth I have amassed in my 59 years, then I will certainly fail the test. If the world has to certify me, I may fail that test, too… If one looks for the visible indicators, I may flunk that test, as well…

So, let me go by the invisible signs and let me not depend on the world’s certificate… Let money, position and fame not be the yardsticks to measure how well I have lived my 59 years, here on Earth…

Have I got many regrets?

Not many… But, a few, certainly, “Yes.”

Have I got many complaints…

Not many, again… A few, “Yes.”…

But, complain to whom?

The more I think about it, the more I find myself repeating, “Nothing to complain about.”

In fact, to me, a life lived with least regrets and complaints, coupled with inner joy, is the indicator of a well-lived life. It comes from the awareness…

That, I have used my God-given gifts well…

That, I have been able to contribute and reach out to as many people as possible in my own special way…

That, I have been loved by many, blessed by many, befriended by many, helped by many…

That, I have not held grudges against any…

That, I have longed and done my best to make peace with one and all…

That, I have lived with the awareness - this life is a gift and it is too short and too precious to be wasted with my arrogance and ignorance…

That, I have lived with the awareness – I have come with empty hands and I will leave with empty hands…

That, I have prayed through gratitude, been cleansed through forgiveness, been strengthened through faith and courage, revived through hope… I have rejoiced in my fellow-men’s success…

That, I have never, ever held back from expressing my fears, tears or despair, my gladness, laughter or jubilation…

That, I have lived with the awareness that everything in my life happens for my good… and every person crosses my path for a reason...

And, I can go on and on…

So, have I lived my 59-years well?

It’s already a Monday morning…
Yes, once is enough… Thank you Lord!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Azriel D'Souza




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...