OUR WAYS OF BEATING OUR BLUES














“Nothing diminishes anxiety faster than action.”
~Walter Anderson

There is a dear friend of mine who has a very clear mind. No matter how confusing and worrisome situations in hand may seem to be, this friend of mine has that uncanny ability to remain poised and see through the situation without getting rattled. Very often, I share my anxieties with this friend of mine… and, invariably, emerge stronger, calmer and a lot optimistic.

In life, we need to surround ourselves with a couple of friends like this one... Life can be a lot easier to cruise through…

Besides talking out my problems with some clear-headed friends like the one I mentioned above, and besides a strong anchorage in prayer, I have found two more helpful tools to beat my anxiety and worry… One is doing physical exercises, and, the other is doing (willingly and gladly) some household chores.

My Tai Chi exercises, early-morning walk and rounds of breathing exercises (Pranayama) have taught me this: I can’t exercise and worry at the same time! The more I pay attention to my body and breath, the more my mind learns to obey. During my early-morning walk, when no one is around me except the songs of the birds and the gentle breeze, I can feel the hair on my skin, quiet movement of my breath and hear my gentle heart-beats… It is during this time, that I am able to see my problems in proper perspective… Often, solutions just pop up during this time… Peace comes to settle… just by being by myself, centered and grounded… The resolve to pay attention to my body and breath, itself, is a resolve to live a zestful life… It is a resolve to beat the ‘small thing’ in life, called - ‘Worry’!

Frankly, I have come to realize, very often, that ‘worrying’ is ‘futile’… Giving in to worry, indeed, means giving in to a ‘small thing’ in life!

What are the daily chores that help me beat my anxiety and worry? I get into kitchen… cook, wash dishes, clean up the sink… wipe the dishes, place them where they belong… prepare my breakfast, pack my tiffin… operate the washing machine, dry clothes… fold them up… handle the doodhwala to dhobiwala… whatever that involves a house-routine… Instead of lying down in my bed worrying or stuck on my couch wrecked in confusion and conflict, if I decide to get up and do some of these household routines, I find myself beating my blues… It is the best form of anti-depressant. If I willingly and joyfully do these things, the anxiety and worry have to go on the back-burner…

Many of my friends have found their own ways to beat their blues… They pursue their hobbies… Some go on hikes and treks, Some on their bikes… Some take part in Marathons… Some watch movies, stage-plays and concerts… Some go out with family for a long drive or for a simple meal… Some of them dance, draw, sing, blog, click pictures, play with their pets, attend satsangs, play active roles in Community or social clubs… There are some who frequently visit hospitals, old-age homes and orphanages…

All of them, I think, can be as effective as doing physical exercises and household chores… Anything that can make us get up and do something… make our mind alert and active… anything that can do away our blues is welcome… including, as I said at the outset, talking to some of our clear-headed and level-headed friends.


GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic.: Kanchangauri Aryamane

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...